Chronology of Illness from 1996 - 1999

1996 - This was the beginning of serious treatment for Dennis.  Dr. Mark Millard of the Martha Foster Lung Center (Baylor Hospital) takes a personal interest in each of his patients.  After his initial visit he recommended a therapy program for Dennis as well as additional medication to treat his chronic bronchitis.  Breathing tests were performed regularly to track the progression of his illness.  He continued to work at his job and very seldom called in sick. He just refused to let his health stop him. The picture at right is of Dennis at his job.  He operated an overhead crane in a large aircraft hangar and was the person responsible if there was an accident. 

Dennis' health was an ongoing battle for the next 3 years. He had infections more often and if we decided to take a trip, we planned for an infection so we could be prepared.  Dr. Millard talked to him about planning for a lung transplant in the future.  He also entered Dennis in any on-going studies that might help his condition.  In the fall of 1999, Dr. Millard suggested lung volume reduction surgery as a possible option.  Dennis' ability to function normally on a day-to-day basis had become increasingly more difficult.  His job was dangerous and required he have a sharp thought process to avoid hurting himself and others.  It also required his ability to walk for extended periods while concentrating on the overhead crane he was operating.  When Dennis realized that he had come close to hurting fellow workers on a number of occasions, he told Dr. Millard to schedule him for the LVRS.  There were quite a number of tests for Dennis to complete in order to meet the criteria for the surgery and during one of the tests, it was discovered that he had developed asthma as well as emphysema and chronic bronchitis.  The asthma disqualified him for the surgery at that time.

Dr. Millard told him that he would not be able to have the surgery and asked if he was ready to take his medical retirement.  Dennis really had no choice.  Without the surgery, he knew it would just be a matter of time before he was responsible for an accident and there were no jobs he could be moved into that didn't require abilities he no longer possessed.  So, Dr. Millard filled out the necessary forms for Social Security Disability and Dennis applied for medical retirement from his company.

His retirement was effective November 1, 1999.  During the Christmas holidays, Dennis suffered a severe angina attack and we had to call 911 for an ambulance.  He was transported to our local hospital and then transferred to Baylor in Dallas at our request.  Dr. Muncy contacted Dr. Rohit Parmer at the Heart Place and asked him to check Dennis for heart problems.  Dr. Parmer scheduled an arteriogram and discovered blockage in his arteries.  It was decided to treat the problem with medication rather than surgery.  2000-2004

Below is a picture of Dennis at work in 1998

Dennisatwork.jpg (409687 bytes)


Home ] Chronology of Illness ] Medical Research ] Articles ] About Us ] Links ] Site Map ]

Site Owner: Ellen Mayo
E-mail:[emayo at]

(replace the "at" with "@" and remove the spaces).
Copyright by DreamMakers Web, October 2007, all rights reserved.
This page may be freely linked to but databases and original illustrations/images
may not be copied without express consent of DreamMakers Web